Youth Education Programs
Imagine a young musician learning improvisation from MacArthur Fellow and jazz violinist Regina Carter overlooking the ocean at the Shalin Liu Performance Center, or a child finding inspiration to study music from a make-your-own instrument activity. Rockport Music is dedicated to fostering an appreciation of music through accessible programs for people of all ages, whether you are a budding young musician or looking to deepen your musical knowledge. An integral part of the organization’s mission, our Education and Outreach programs provide over 80 learning opportunities to nearly 9,000 students and adults every year. In addition to the many free concerts Rockport Music presents to the Cape Ann community, the organization has a long tradition of providing extensive and enriching in-school programs in Rockport, Gloucester, Essex and Salem public schools, including multi-day residencies by professional string quartets and other music ensembles. Rockport Music’s programs range from a musical introduction to young elementary school students as inspiration to study music to in-depth workshops by professional musicians for young musicians in middle and high school committed to the study of music. Visit our PHOTO GALLERY for more pictures of Rockport Music’s educational activities.
A MUSICAL INTRODUCTION
- New England Conservatory Opera students presented George Bizet’s Dr. Miracle in fully-staged and costumed performances for K-3 students
- Bohemian Quartet performed music rooted in gypsy culture for local K-12 school students
- Classical Jam performed classical and new music for students in Rockport and Gloucester
- The Firebird Ensemble performed Jon Deak’s A Christmas Carol for young students and demonstrated the different instruments for elementary students in four schools districts.
Visit our PHOTO GALLERY for more pictures of Rockport Music’s educational activities.
FOR THE YOUNG MUSICIAN
- Classical Jam, acclaimed soloists and chamber musicians, worked with local middle and high school students in several workshops that culminated in a joint performance with high school students for the finale piece of their concert
- Bohemian Quartet performed music rooted in gypsy culture for local K-12 students and joined with the high school orchestra in a community concert
- Master drummer Sowah Mensah worked with music students on the drumming techniques from Ghana and incorporated the Rockport High School Orchestra in his public performance.
- Music students gained in-depth knowledge of string instruments and the many genres of which they are an integral part through participation in performances and workshops with renowned musicians like Regina Carter and A Far Cry orchestra
- High school students received practical advice from professional, working musicians in a Careers in Music panel discussion
- A week-long Jazz Camp for middle and high school students held in August
- UPCOMING EDUCATION EVENTS
- Visit our PHOTO GALLERY for more pictures of Rockport Music’s educational activities.
COMMUNITY EVENTS & PARTNERSHIPS
During town festivals, Rockport Music offers programs from instrument “petting” zoos and make-your-own-instrument workshops. In collaboration with Pathways for Children Head Start program in Gloucester, Rockport Music offers interactive musical presentations to pre-school students, making music accessible, fun, and even therapeutic for people of all ages. Since 2009, the HARP (Healing Arts at Rockport) program–with community partners like Hospice of North Shore, the North Shore Education Consortium, and Union Hospital’s in-patient Child Psychiatry Unit–has touched the lives of dozens of children and adults (and their families) by providing music as a tool for self-expression, creativity and stress reduction.
- As part of the Healing Arts Program, world music ensemble Ten Tumbao provided a percussion workshop for children at the Hunt Center.
- Children of all ages participated in Rockport Music’s instrument “petting” zoo during the town’s celebration Motif #1 Day and took part in the make-your-own-instrument workshop during Harvest Festival. Students gained a close-up and personal experience with different instruments and how they are made.
- Through a collaboration with the Cape Ann Symphony, Boston Symphony Orchestra cellist Owen Young performed for Rockport Elementary School fourth and fifth graders.
- In a special holiday concert, The Firebird Ensemble presented Jon Deak’s A Christmas Carol
- The Town of Rockport celebrates the holidays with several annual holiday traditions which Rockport Music participates by offering a free community sing-along and holiday film later in the evening
PHOTO CREDIT: Sharron Cohen
For information on Rockport Music Education and Outreach opportunities for your school or the Cape Ann community, please contact Director of Education Stephanie Woolf at email@example.com.
Learn more about Rockport Music’s Education and Outreach programs by watching this brief Education video of testimonials by students, teachers and board members, as well as footage of school programs and student performances.
UPCOMING COMMUNITY EVENTS
For a list of upcoming community and education events, visit our COMMUNITY EVENTS page.