Mark your Calendar & Make Preparations!
This year’s Gala, now transitioned to a Virtual Gala, will celebrate 10 glorious years of music in the Shalin Liu Performance Center. The Virtual Gala celebration, “A Gift of Music to the Community,” will be streamed on Saturday, June 27 at 5 pm (EST) and will bring a spectacular evening of music right to your own homes. While this Gala may look and feel different than in years past, considering the unique circumstances, the feedback thus far has been one of joy and gratitude. “I have been incredibly inspired by the overwhelmingly positive response to the Virtual Gala,” says Gala Chair Jeannie McIntyre. “It is truly gratifying to see how Rockport Music’s free gift of music to the community is resonating with people.”
Much of the excitement undoubtedly stems from the music itself. Artistic Director Barry Shiffman shares his thoughts on why he chose Marc-André Hamelin for this special virtual event:
There are certain artists that transcend the physical limitations of an instrument and seem to effortlessly communicate music as if the instrument was a natural extension of their body. Marc-André Hamelin is such an artist. Recognized as one of the great pianists of our time, his artistry and technical mastery is combined with one of the more modest, kind and gentle personalities in the field. Fireworks are reserved for the stage, and when you chat with him, you have to remind yourself that this seemingly “normal” person is the phenomenon that is Marc-André Hamelin.
I have known Marc for over 30 years and was privileged to perform many concerts together when I was in the St. Lawrence Quartet. Always a thrill to share the stage with this powerhouse of a musician. I am thrilled he agreed to be our featured artist for this special gala.
Marc-André will perform Schubert’s Sonata in B-flat major, D. 960, a piece that has “acquired an aura of otherworldliness, as if Schubert were already communicating from beyond the grave…Though he could hardly have known that this would be virtually his last instrumental work, Schubert, like Beethoven in the Op. 130 finale, bows out with mingled robustness, lyrical tenderness, and wry, quizzical grace.” (from Marc-André Hamelin’s EP liner notes by Richard Wigmore). Well known as a composer as well as pianist, Marc-André brings one of his own compositions—his Toccata on “L’Homme Armé” which is based on a French melody that dates back to the 1400s. This singular work was commissioned as a performance piece for the 2017 Cliburn Competition.
Now, let’s all get ready to enjoy a spectacular concert with Marc-André Hamelin and celebrate the 10th Anniversary of the Shalin Liu Performance Center!
Attending the Virtual Gala is as simple as one, two, three, click!
1) Plan ahead
- Remind your friends and family to tune in!
- Rockport Music’s Annual Gala is known for its Signature Cocktail. This year, our Official Hotel Corporate Partner Beauport Hotel put together a very special cocktail for the event, the Beauport Basil Gimlet. Here is the recipe, so you can make your own Virtual Gala Cocktail:
- 2 oz. Gin
- 1 oz Basil Simple Syrup (1/2 cup water, 1/2 cup sugar, 6 fresh basil leaves. simmer, steep in fridge 1 day, then strain)
- 1 oz Lime Juice
- Place in shaker with ice and shake vigorously!
2) Pick out your virtual gala attire…and get your camera ready!
- Just because we won’t be together in person is no reason not to dress up! You can go with anything from Couch Couture (pajamas and slippers) or get that gala gown or tuxedo out of the closet and wear it around the house just for fun!!
- Recreate that special feeling of community that exists at Rockport Music and host your own virtual gathering of friends and family
- Take photos of your virtual gathering (screen shot) or of you in your virtual gala attire and post them on Rockport Music’s Facebook page
3) Get ready to stream
- Watch the Gala on your mobile phone, tablet, laptop, or smart TV
- Viewing the Virtual Gala is easy! Simply click which viewing platform you prefer:
- Rockport Music’s Gala viewing webpage
- The webpage will include the video live on June 27
- FaceBook (for the best quality video, please view via our website or Youtube)
- YouTube Ask “Alexa” or “Siri” to take you there!
- Technical support is available if needed (an email with complete details will be sent the week prior to the Virtual Gala)
- Rockport Music’s Gala viewing webpage
Enjoy this Virtual Gala, Our Gift to the Community! This is Rockport Music’s only fundraiser of the year. Please consider making a gift of any amount to support Rockport Music during this difficult time or in honor of the 10th Anniversary of the Shalin Liu Performance Center!
Thank you to our Gala Corporate Partners!