How to Give
Rockport Music is a 501(c)(3), so your donations to the organization are tax-deductible.
Three Easy Ways to Support Rockport Music
It’s easy to make a donation online!
Send a check to: Rockport Music, ATTN: Development Office, 16 Main Street, Rockport, MA 01966.
- Credit Card
Simply call Development Associate, Yati McMahon at 978.546.7391 ext. 105 with your credit card information.
Other Ways to Make a Gift
Become a monthly donor and make a recurring gift of $10 or more per month. Any amount is meaningful. After your first monthly installment, we will charge your credit card on the last Monday of every month until you ask us to stop. For more information or to make your Sustaining Donor pledge, contact Yati McMahon, Development Associate, at 978.546.7391 ext. 105 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Gifts of Securities
Many people choose to make a charitable gift by transferring appreciated securities (stocks, mutual fund shares) rather than making a direct contribution of cash. The advantages are numerous:
- If you donate stock that you have owned for more than a year and has increased in value, you can give more and it will cost you less. Why? Because your charitable gift of long-term appreciated stock avoids capital gains tax.
- With the maximum federal capital gain tax rate set at 20% for long-term securities, you unlock the full value of the stock when you donate the shares to Rockport Music, pay no capital gains tax on the gifted stock, and are eligible to deduct the full fair-market value of those shares on the effective date of the gift from your income taxes, up to the amount allowed by the IRS.
- If you sold the same stock on your own and gifted the proceeds in cash, you would need to give 20% more to result in the same size gift as transferring the shares directly to Rockport Music.
- It’s easy to do! Simply contact your broker and make your request in writing as per your broker’s instructions, providing Rockport Music’s electronic transfer information as shown in the link below. Your broker will wire the shares directly to Rockport Music’s account.
For instructions on donating gifts of securities please contact Mark Barrasso, at 978.546.7391 ext. 127 or email@example.com
Donor Advised Funds
Giving through your donor advised fund (DAF) allows you to combine the most favorable tax benefits with the flexibility to support your favorite charities easily. Increasingly popular charitable vehicles, DAFs are an excellent way to both simplify your charitable giving and facilitate your strategic philanthropic goals.
Corporate matching gifts are a great way for our supporters to maximize their personal contributions to Rockport Music and increase the impact of their gift. By taking advantage of a company’s matching gift benefit, you may be able to double or even triple the amount of your contribution.
Each company has its own guidelines for employees, spouses, retirees and widows/widowers. Most corporate procedures are very simple:
- Request a matching gift form from your company.
- Complete and submit the form to Rockport Music along with your gift.
- Rockport Music will verify the completed form and return it to the company.
- The company issues a matching gift contribution to Rockport Music.
For more information about these and other ways to give, contact Kathy Urner-Jones,
Senior Development Officer, at 978.546.7391 ext. 132.
Make a Tax-Free Contribution from Your IRA
For donors age 70 ½ or older, it is possible to make a tax-free distribution to Rockport Music directly from your IRA or Roth IRA. To be considered a qualifying charitable distribution under the tax laws, the gift must come directly from the IRA trustee to the charitable organization without any intervening possession by the donor. This “charitable rollover gift” is included in determining whether the donor has met the required minimum distribution (RMD) for the year, making it a tax-smart gift for many older donors. CLICK HERE FOR DETAILS
If you purchased tickets to a concert you are unable to use, please consider donating them for resale by calling the Box Office at 978.546.7391. If we are able to resell your tickets, you will receive a receipt for tax purposes and you will give other music lovers an opportunity to hear a stellar live performance. We are able to resell tickets only to sold-out performances. Ticket fees are not included in the donation.